Data Enquiry Service
Circle of Puffins
© Neil Copsey
As of 23rd January 2021 Guernsey has returned to lockdown and the Records Centre is operating on a remote basis. We are currently not accepting any new data search requests.
Due to ongoing projects we now require
Information held by the GBRC is made freely available for non-profit making purposes which meet the objectives of the GBRC.
This includes scientific and research purposes subject to the terms and conditions detailed in our Data Use Policy.
Commercial Data Searches
Initial advice on information held by GBRC is provided free of charge. A charge will be made to cover staff time to meet requests for the extraction and collation of records from the main database by commercial organisations and consultants.
Our fees per data search are:
- £100 per data search for each site.
- £25 nominal fee where the data search returns no records for the site in question.
- £50 discretionary charge (50% reduction on the standard £100 fee) per data search may be applied for community groups and other organisations who do not meet the non-profit criteria. Please contact GBRC for further information.
Other fees may apply for further analysis and other surveys which can be quoted for on first contact.
The Guernsey Biological Records Centre is managed by Environment Guernsey Ltd on behalf of La Société Guernesiaise and the Agriculture, Countryside and Land Management Services Department (ACLMS) of the States of Guernsey. Environment Guernsey Ltd is responsible for issuing invoices and handling payments related to data requests. Personal information we provide to Environment Guernsey Ltd to complete the billing and payment aspect of each commercial data request:
- The name
- The contact information of the person submitting the data request
How to request a data search:
- We charge a search fee to cover the search time and if you then decide to proceed with the data extraction, the administrative costs of extracting the data and producing a report. Note that both the size of the area to be searched and the number of criteria to be searched for will have a bearing on the time taken to produce a report.
- To make a request for data please fill in our Data Request Form (and include a grid reference or map of the search area), and post or email it to us. Only completed and signed forms will be processed, both hardcopy and electronic scanned signature are accepted.
- A small proportion of our data remains confidential or is released at a lower resolution to protect sensitive species from disturbance. We do not always have data at 6-figure grid reference resolution but we will supply to you at the best resolution we can.
- In accordance with GDPR the name and details of the recorder will not be released with the species data for a location.
- Prior to making a request have a look at our Data Holdings for information on the types of data we hold and then download and complete our Data Request Form.
- We will then provide a summary of what data are available for that area and an estimated cost for extracting the data and producing a report (if required).
- We hold data from every island in the Bailiwick but do not have blanket coverage.
- Please note that absence of a species from our records for a particular geographical location does not mean that it is absent from that location – just that we do not hold verified records for it there.
- If in any doubt regarding these instructions then please contact us.